Clerics are a(nother) glaring relic of an antiquated past. The assumptions they force upon a DM, especially post-Greyhawk, are ridiculous and unnecessarily constricting, offering little in return:
- that active and visible gods are inevitable
- that they require, need, or even allow worship
- that they must represent some “aspect” or “role”
- that differentiating their clerics will depend solely upon a few arbitrary feats or abilities, with the other 90% remaining identical
- that clerics are automatically adventurers and not bureaucrats
1e was somewhat excusable, exchanging freedom for strict roles. 2e said “screw that” and abandoned both.